Friday, September 3, 2010

freakout friday.

Do you ever feel like there's just never enough time in a day, a week, a month, a year?!?? That your to-do list grows exponentially each weekend and the number of things you add to that list far exceeds what you are actually crossing off that list? We've been homeowners for a little over 8 months now and I was well aware that home ownership would mean to do list's a plenty (and I was excited about it!)... but this is getting slightly ridiculous. I have to remember that it's not a race but, while I enjoy the updates and the opportunity to be creative in my own house, I just want it all done so that I can enjoy the rooms and have more time for other fun things and hobbies!


our kitchen with the carrot cake I made for the Easter Bunny!

We've slowly made our way through a few rooms and tried to get them each to a point we could live with but I'm starting to not be able to live with them anymore. The kitchen was the first room I tackled, painting the walls a mossy green (my newest color obsession), replacing door hardware with stainless steel knobs, finding a tall kitchen/bar table with 4 chairs that could also function as an island if I needed more counter space, and replacing the light fixture from a cheap, hideous fluorescent to an equally efficient track light type fixture and replacing all the outlet covers with brushed nickel plates (way more affordable than actual stainless steel). We found a fun, tall/skinny picture to put on the wall, some matching placemats and dishtowels and put a rug on the floor - done and done. The kitchen is the room we are the most proud of for the moment and we do enjoy spending time in there because it's the most done.

The rest of our house is painted a what I wish I could call beige, but is more like contractor pink... it's not a hideous shade of paint but it certainly doesn't go with any pieces of furniture, lamps, rugs, etc. that we have.

With the long weekend approaching, I'm trying to determine what should be next our my list to tackle. We have 3 bedrooms, one of which we have painted, is furnished (with my childhood furniture which probably needs to be refinished - but I'm feeling guilty about doing that for some reason), cute bedspread and pillows on the bed.... but nothing on the walls, no curtains, no pictures.... it's not quite there yet....


what I want (we'll get there... I hope)

I'm thinking our bedroom is next. With the amount of time that one spends in their bedroom, it should be a place of refuge, that's comfortable and warm... a place you want to be. Our bedroom at the moment... not so much. It's fully furnished, and we've added new faux-wood blinds in place of blinds that actually matched the color of the wall (eww) and the walls are just screaming for a fresh coat of paint. Our furniture is a mix of black nightstands, and wood dresser and headboard/footboard, not too light not too dark. Our duvet cover is green (obvi) but I'd say we're open to changing that up... we've had it for a few years now. Color suggestions are completely welcome!!!!

Here are some room inspirations....




a little over the top? I like some of the things happening in this picture...


kinda? (I know hubs won't like)

Also, on another note, how do you feel about those stick to the wall decal kinds of things? Maybe in a guest room? Definitely in a childs room? Also, where do you have the most luck finding lamps? There is a lamp shortage in our house and we haven't been able to find anything we like!

Enjoy the long weekend everybody!

2 comments:

  1. What you have done so far looks amazing! I agree, it's hard to "take it slow." We're three years in and still have a looong way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Abby! It's hard not to get caught up in it all! I thrive on instant gratification and house "stuff" doesn't really provide that!

    ReplyDelete