Thursday, September 9, 2010

where did my preppy mojo go?

If you've read my "About Me" section and some of my previous posts, you know that I was a tom-boy until my freshman year in high school when I started attending an all girls high school and began wearing over-sized pearl earrings and ribbons in my hair. I was still an athlete but the color pink found it's way into my heart, and my wardrobe, including shoes, sunglasses and undergarments! I enjoyed getting dressed up, wearing skirts, pearls, mascara and lip gloss. I loved shopping! I had become feminine. Yes!!

Lately however, I've been feeling very unfeminine. I don't wear much pink anymore; not that pink necessarily equates to femininity. I still wear pearls, often, but I have a hard time looking at myself in the mirror lately, especially when I no longer see the preppy, cute, feminine girl I used to be. I'm not sure what happened! I haven't changed all that much. Yes, I've aged and gained a little weight but I'm not overweight aka clothes don't fit that much different on me than they did 10 years ago (see Apple Pie for more on my weight). I still shop at the Loft, J.Crew, Banana Republic, etc. (though I don't take quite as much pleasure in going shopping anymore - it seems like more of a chore these days) but I feel like I have a hard time trying to find clothes that are flattering, that are work appropriate and can be paired with other items on the weekend. And, on top of all this, I have a certain aversion to accessories which I admit are generally lacking in all of my outfits. For some reason I can't seem to convince myself to buy a necklace or bangle, not matter how much I really want it, if it costs more than $20!

I see other women my age and wonder how they do it! I picture an outfit they are wearing on myself and soon realize that it would look absolutely different on me and not flatter me in the least. I wonder where they get the money to buy the $60 necklace they're wearing. Victoria Secret commercials depress the hell out of me. I could never be that skinny even if I starved myself, not that I want to be that skinny, but their skimpy bras and panties (sorry for those of you who are disgusted by this word... I'm right there with you) make them poster women of femininity. I've tried to venture outside my comfort zone of shopping purchases but always seem to find my way back to what I know, and what I thought was flattering me, making me look preppy, and allowing me feel feminine. Apparently this hasn't been the case. I see myself in pictures next to friends who I think always exude feminism and there I am... thought I looked good that night, but actually looked frumptastic. Why!

This post has been inspired by many of the bloggettes out there who post the WIWW blogs. Many of the clothes I see you wearing, I either own or have something similar, yet, they look feminine on you and not so much on me! How can this be!?!? I need help! I need some advice! I need a personal shopper! I've lost my mojo!

I'm sure there are times when you just don't feel too feminine (for me, it's more often than not)... what do you do or buy to make yourself feel more girly or feminine?

Advice of any kind is welcomed and encouraged! This is a cry for help! Don't let me walk around like this! (no offense J. Simp.- I love ya but those jeans weren't working for ya...)

2 comments:

  1. I feel the exact same way (except I'm not much of a pink person :-) ). I like to find stuff but why can I not find clothes that are versatile and 'un-frumpy'. They do not look the same on me as they do on other people. For once it would be nice to pull off the 'in-look' for the season. I wish I could cough up the money for some nice jewelry to change things up but I just can't do it. Wish I had more advice.

    One day I'd like to make my cousin and sister go shopping with me and pick me out a few outfits to wear (like they'd wear) and see how that turns out. If only I had the $$$.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally me! I always feel like I can't find clothes that make me look feminine and pretty. I feel like most of my female friends are shorter than me and look dainty and I'm this huge monstrosity (I'm only 5'5). What I found that does look best is empire waists and not wearing heels (I look ridiculous in heels, srsly). I'd start researching your body shape and clothes designed for it. As much as I think skinny jeans look cute, they look absolutely dreadful on my body.

    ReplyDelete